Monday, May 2, 2016

Journalist Bob Brown's Wisdom Tip

Bob Brown is a seasoned journalist and a true gentleman. During our interview, I remembered that all too familiar voice I had heard so many times as he reported stories that have touched all of our lives.


 

Taking Risks

 
"Nothing truly great happens unless there is some kind of risk involved.  The question then becomes are you willing to take the risk?  So many people are fearful when faced with unknown territory.  Often they let those fears keep them from some of the greatest rewards in life.  When a person's self esteem is lowest they tend to let opportunities pass them by for fear of failing once again."
 
 

My take on Bob's Wisdom Tip.

 
I never would have thought that I would be a risk taker.  In my earlier years I was so afraid of making a mistake that I turned to everyone else to tell me what to do.  While it is good to take advice from others, it can be damaging if you don't weigh their advice against where you are wanting to go in your own career. 
 
I remember six months after I started my card company in 1987 called "A Touch of Heart" by Victoria, my stepfather shared some of his earlier thinking about my venture.  He said, "I wanted to tell you that you are not an experienced business owner and so the corporate world is going to eat you alive."  Fortunately, he never voiced his opinion when I first stepped out into the risky deep waters. 
 
For six years I had my cards going all over the United States and Canada.  Without taking a risk I would have never known that I could do it and would have never been prepared for the next risk that was waiting just around the corner for me to pursue.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment